[Grok-dev] Portlets (and maybe other skinning).

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Sat Mar 17 20:09:00 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 23:44 +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 3/18/07, Darryl Cousins <darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz> wrote:
> > This seems not quite right to me. I like the way grok currently does not
> > enforce a 'main template' onto all views.
>
> How do you mean?

Currently the only templates used on a view are those directly in
'app_templates' directory (or the render method). If I understood
correctly your plan is to look up a main template with the publisher.

<quote>I'm currently looking into replacing the publication object with
something that looks up a main template and uses that</quote>

What I am trying to suggest is that this main template should only be in
a skin or layer. And that the grok package maybe could define a default
layer and skin that could then be used by developers as a starting point
for developing further layers/skins.

Shouldn't the layer be responsible for looking up providers/viewlets to
use. ie only those registered to the layer? And wouldn't this avoid the
drawback you mention: <quote>The main drawback with this is that
everything gets the portlets applied to them</quote>?

If that made sense - therefore layer/skin development should come before
provider/viewlet.

But if I'm not making sense, tell me to be quiet. ;-)

> > I was thinking that skins and layers perhaps should come first.
>
> But as long as the templates doesn't use a main template, skins and
> layers make no difference. And if we enforce the use of a main
> template, then we are stuck with ZPT templates. It seems to me that it
> would be better if the view was unaware of skins and layers.

Yup. I agree. A main template should only be in a specific layer/skin
which is 'wrapped' onto the view for presentation.

Regards,
Darryl