[Grok-dev] Re: an outline for the tutorial

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Mar 21 10:29:39 EDT 2007

Hey,

Darryl Cousins wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 01:00 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've sketched out an outline for the tutorial, here:
>>
>> http://svn.zope.org/grok/trunk/doc/tutorial_outline.txt
>
> I see a book here. :-)

Oh oh, I need help. :)

> Cool. I see the flow there and I think you have done a great job.

Thanks! Also thanks for the feedback coming next!

> My only query is about the 'advanced' point that arrives in the final
> chapter.
>
>   * a new look for old models (skins)
>
> I feel that skins (themes) are important at the outset. I hope that it
> will be as simple as one line of code to point an application (a model)
> at a theme. I think that to simplify skinning would make Grok attractive
> to potential users.

Skinning is definitely an important 'todo' task for Grok. We've
discussed it before and have some ideas, but as far as I'm aware, not
conclusions just yet. You seem to have some ideas on goals, so perhaps
start a new topic of conversation? :)

I've put skinning in the chapter on extending existing Grok applications
as it seems to fit there. Perhaps there's a purpose for skins that I'm
missing?

I think it's good practice to place all of an application in a skin
right away. If this is indeed so (we need to motivate it), Grok should
allow people to do this easily, and perhaps that should be discussed
earlier.

> As an example as to where it may slot into the tutorial could be at
> 'static resources'. In the current tutorial one includes a stylesheet in
> sample/static/. I think that better would be to have introduced skinning
> already at this point so that we know that if we make a sample2/ app we
> can resue the stylesheet (header, footer, sidebar etc).

I am having trouble seeing it yet, as I just have too blurry an idea of
what skinning in Grok means and what it would be for in this case.

Anyway, definitely a topic we should come back to in time.