[Grok-dev] an outline for the tutorial

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Wed Mar 21 02:03:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 01:00 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've sketched out an outline for the tutorial, here:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/grok/trunk/doc/tutorial_outline.txt

I see a book here. :-)

Cool. I see the flow there and I think you have done a great job.

My only query is about the 'advanced' point that arrives in the final
chapter.

  * a new look for old models (skins)

I feel that skins (themes) are important at the outset. I hope that it
will be as simple as one line of code to point an application (a model)
at a theme. I think that to simplify skinning would make Grok attractive
to potential users.

As an example as to where it may slot into the tutorial could be at
'static resources'. In the current tutorial one includes a stylesheet in
sample/static/. I think that better would be to have introduced skinning
already at this point so that we know that if we make a sample2/ app we
can resue the stylesheet (header, footer, sidebar etc).

Sincere regards,
Darryl