[Grok-dev] an outline for the tutorial

Fernando Correa Neto fcdoth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:02:41 EDT 2007

Hey

On 3/21/07, Darryl Cousins <darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 01:00 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I've sketched out an outline for the tutorial, here:
> >
> > http://svn.zope.org/grok/trunk/doc/tutorial_outline.txt
>
> I see a book here. :-)
>
> Cool. I see the flow there and I think you have done a great job.
>
> My only query is about the 'advanced' point that arrives in the final
> chapter.
>
>   * a new look for old models (skins)

Not only that.
Skinning plays an important role in the development and people get
interested by it BUT other thing people get interested too is how to
store things.
We zope users and developers love ZODB, but the fact is that people
are forced to use RDBs when developing things. I myself feel in
trouble when I try to sell a ZODB based project imagining how DBAS
will complain about it since they can't inspect the data through their
favory query language.
I have this feeling that pushing grok model to something similar to this:

Model: Me grok stores objects:

A nice overview of the "Advanced and Trully Object Database" (Note
that I am trying to marketing ZODB here)....even tho I still believe
that ZODB should have a separate micro-site in zope.org to expose its
features, its uses and its advantanges just like PosrgreSQL, Oracle
and others do with their dbs and not a hidden link where people
usually don't go to check things.

Whant data stored in your old fashion relational database? Here it is how:

grokproject MyProject --db=mysql://SIN
grokproject MyProject --db=pgsql://SIN
grokproject MyProject --db=oradb://SIN
grokproject MyProject --db=mssql://SIN

(off course grok can't do this rigth now, but maybe in the future a
grokker for z3c.sqlalchemy)

Anyway, I am just pointing that flexibility in storage counts the same
way OR more than skinning AND the others are doing this already.