[Grok-dev] Re: an outline for the tutorial

Fernando Correa Neto fcdoth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:01:23 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 3/21/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Fernando Correa Neto wrote:
> [snip]
> > We zope users and developers love ZODB, but the fact is that people
> > are forced to use RDBs when developing things. I myself feel in
> > trouble when I try to sell a ZODB based project imagining how DBAS
> > will complain about it since they can't inspect the data through their
> > favory query language.
>
> [zodb needs its own zodb.zope.org - agreed, good idea. Now we only need
> someone to write the text and help put it up :)]

Yup. Give me the names that I will extract technical info from the
developer's head and come back with some content.
After that, we will need to put it in a very good shape and then put
the site up.
Very good shape meaning to do almost the same marketing you wrote in
the about page. And since ZODB was already rocking for some time, I
believe we have the use cases to show people how reliable, scalable it
is and the companies that are using it ;). All the ones that uses zope
:D.
Do you think it is possible?

> [snip]
> > Whant data stored in your old fashion relational database? Here it is how:
> >
> > grokproject MyProject --db=mysql://SIN
> > grokproject MyProject --db=pgsql://SIN
> > grokproject MyProject --db=oradb://SIN
> > grokproject MyProject --db=mssql://SIN
> >
> > (off course grok can't do this rigth now, but maybe in the future a
> > grokker for z3c.sqlalchemy)
>
> We've been thinking about Grok integration for sqlalchemy from the
> start. It's high on my personal wishlist. I agree fully that Grok (and
> Zope) needs a good SQL integration story. Should be added to the
> tutorial as its own chapter, I think, once we have worked out what that
> looks like.
>
> Depending on projects and people to work on it, we will get around to
> it, at some point! :)

Yup, this is the point I would say:
How to go thru the "Convention over Configuration" process to
integrate z3c.sqlalchemy?
That's why I was trying to extract this info from the developers heads
so we can just post a doctest on the list so that the core developers
when looking at it would say:

Ok, this is compliant with grok standards and should be registered as
a extension.

In this case, I am asking for the "Convention over Integration"
process that would be generic enough so any average python developer
could at least start and ask for help to finish.
But I know this is another story, I just want to be around when a new
feature like zc.sourcefactory would be integrated in grok so I can try
to identify the process and check if this process repeats for another
packages too.

Cheers,
Fernando