[Grok-dev] Re: Benefits of Grok -- please contribute

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Tue May 15 05:22:08 EDT 2007

14 maj 2007 kl. 20.45 skrev Luciano Ramalho:

> But as we consider how to "sell" Grok, the fact that we have the ZODB
> is a double-edged knife.
>
> Ideally, it should be simple to start any project on the ZODB and
> later switch to a relational dababase back-end, with as little pain as
> possible.

Personally, I love ZODB. I started up an ORM (object-relational
mapping) tools developer for COM+ and .NET a couple of years ago, and
ORM is the way to go when accessing an RDBMS. But, the ZODB has a
more document oriented approach which is great for CMS, ERP etc.

In the applications I have developed for Zope 2, I use a combination
of ZODB, RDBMS and the file system, depending on how the data is
created, how it is used and the size of individual records. But I
agree, if it is used as a holy grail of data storage (in the way some
publishing systems tend to use RDBMS) it becomes a problem.

For me the ZODB has been a silver bullet because it is well
integrated to Zope. I have even come to like aquisition... (with some
reservations... ;) )

Regards Sebastian