[Grok-dev] Re: Skinning/themeing

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun May 20 09:40:40 EDT 2007

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 5/20/07, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Me too, so long as it's not a framework of that forces me to make
>> choices I don't have the time or experience to make right. :)
>
> This is how I see it:
>
> Grok isn't, and shouldn't be, a be all end all monolithic framework
> thingamajig. Very few unexperienced people should select "Grok" as
> their framework. They should select a framework like a CMS, or an ERP
> or something, that does most of what they want. Grok will be a part of
> those frameworks, but another part of those frameworks will be a
> decision of what template language to use. Another decision made for
> you at that level is what web server to use. Maybe it's zope.server,
> maybe it's something else that talks WSGI. Maybe that framework even
> have decided to use Varnish as a part of the framework. Maybe they
> have decided what WYSIWYG schema editor to use.
>
> All of this could (and should) be decided for you in a finished
> high-level framework. Grok is not that framework, but it is a part of
> it.

Are you saying that you don't envisage "new" developers picking up Grok
and using it to build an application from scratch?

This is very different from how I see (and would use) Grok - to me, Grok
is something I could use to build a standalone web app (i.e. if I'm not
working on Plone) quickly, using the giant toolbox that Zope 3 provides
as and when I have a need.

Martin