[Grok-dev] grok.Application as zope root

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 11:38:37 EDT 2007

(I make it a seperate discussion thread).

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Sebastian Ware wrote:
>> Martijn blogged:
>>
>> "Work is being done to extend and improve the Grok admin UI, in
>> particular to show information about which views are available for a
>> content object. Also one of our conclusions of these discussions is
>> that "admin UI" is not a very good name. It's really a UI dedicated to
>> serving developers while they develop a Grok-based application. We
>> haven't figured out a good new name for this yet."
>>
>> And in that context, how about calling it the Grok Dashboard?
>
> To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think we should not
> require the admin UI to create application objects. The admin UI is
> great, but mostly because of Uli's extensions.
>
> I've shown Grok to many newcomers now (13 people just this week) and
> most are completely confused by it. Brandon and Shane seemed to have
> made similar experiences. I've come to the conclusion that Grok should
> make the grok.Application subclass the root object of the ZODB, or at
> least create them automatically.
>
> This would "reduce" the admin UI to be a pure inspection and
> documentation tool, which I think is what it is best at. It can simply
> focus on that instead of trying to be too many things.

I agree with these observations, *however*, there needs to be a way to
make "taking over the zope root" optionally in a very easy way: I forsee
people do want to have multiple applications running in a Zope instance
- I know I will need this option.

Maybe we can introduce a grok.ApplicationRoot that will "take over" the
zope root, where grok.Application retains the current behaviour?

regards,
jw