[Grok-dev] an application installation script?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 09:36:43 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Brandon Craig Rhodes <brandon at rhodesmill.org> wrote:
> So the question to ask here is whether Grok, for the beginner, ought
> to act more like Subversion, where once you have (a) its binaries
> (which correspond to the Grok and Zope 3 eggs) and (b) a repository
> (which corresponds to a Grok instance), then you can run the server
> and see the result without an extra level of indirection; or whether
> Grok ought to be more like Postgres.

Really? I thought it was if it should work as google earth or postgres?
Oh, you mean that there is the instance name in the way...

And there I see your point. But for me, that is for end users. If I
write a CMS, and I want people to install it, I want the CMS to be the
root app as default.
But when I *develop* the CMS, I do definitely not want that. Grok is
used to develop applications, but it should be friendly towards the
developer, not the end user.

> Why on earth would you develop more than one application at once?

If you are working on a website, this is a normal usecase. When you
are developing the application itself, it is not, but then you
typically want several *instances* of that application.

> But, is this really going to be a common case?

Yes.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64