[Grok-dev] Re: Admin UI name change suggestion

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Tue Oct 9 15:03:26 EDT 2007

The main reason for an UI is to present something that is abstract
(an application object) in a tangible way (an item in the GUI). I
don't think the question is whether beginners will be helped by a UI
-- that is a given for 99,9% of the population -- the question is
what kind of GUI will help users, and how should it be accessed.

Some people will find it odd that the root of the path gives access
to the admin UI. I can understand that you might want to run your
application as root.

To me, this is no concern as long as I can use a virtual host root. I
allways have a front end which support rewrite rules, so I can make
it look the way I want to the end users.

However, I can buy that the admin UI could be accessed by "/
grok_admin". Maybe the root should run a wizard if no application is
installed. This wizard could guide you through the steps of
installing your first application and maybe give some info about the
admin UI and also tell you a bit about the Grok universe. I think
that would be a great improvement over what we have Today, however,
it would require more work... :P

Mvh Sebastian