[Grok-dev] Re: megrok.yui released

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Aug 8 11:04:07 EDT 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Today I've wrapped up and released megrok.yui. This is a packaging of
>> the YUI javascript and CSS library for easy installation into a Grok
>> application. It uses megrok.resourcelibrary. To install megrok.yui,
>> simply add this in the dependencies to your setup.py and rerun buildout.
>>
>> Here is a bit more information:
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/megrok.yui
>
> Just curious: Why YUI? Why not Ext, say, or Ext + jQuery?

> That's not a loaded question. I'm just curious about what makes people
> choose one over the other.

Ext has a license that kept changing every 5 minutes when I looked at
it. It started out as BSD-like, then changed to LGPL-but-not-*really*
and then it switched to GPL ("but if you use it in the client your
server code also becomes GPL" official Ext interpretation). Really a
very tortuous history.

Plus Ext looks pretty, but from what I heard generates rather hairy
HTML. I have a better impression of YUI's approach to scalable javascript.

jQuery: I just never did very much with it. I have no idea why I'd want
to combine *two* javascript libraries, Ext and jQuery, that sounds scary.

Anyway, I'm just packaging things up. I also packed up megrok.tinymce
the same day. :) I need these packaged up - YUI can perfectly be used by
pointing to Yahoo's servers for most purposes, but my app needs to be
able to run off-line.