[Grok-dev] Re: grokproject upgrade weirdness

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Jul 18 10:13:18 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> I just tried upgrading to the newest release of grokproject using:
>>
>> easyinstall -U grokproject
>>
>> this however results in me getting something called grokproject-0.8dev.
>>
>> It's getting the SVN version or something through the PyPI, thanks to
>> the wonderful magic of easy_install and a download url link in the
>> PyPI project page. (I hate easy_install's magic; it continues to
>> surprise me! it's a good example of *bad* magic...)
>>
>> What is the right upgrade method for grokproject?

It *is* the right way of updating grokproject. On my machine, it yields
grokproject 0.8, and no worries about other users, it just installs
grokproject 0.8 for them as well.

> Specifying: "easy_install grokproject == 0.8" gives me the right version.
>
> It still makes me worried what people will get on first-time install or
> upgrade though. Perhaps we should get rid of that download url bit in
> setup.py?

The reason why you're getting grokproject 0.8dev is not that it's coming
from SVN. Because then the version number would like
grokproject-0.8dev-r234234. I think your problem is that you were saying
"easy_install -U grokproject" while the current directory contained an
old trunk checkout of grokproject. E.g.:

   $ cd to_all_my_checkouts
   $ ls
   grokproject
   $ grep version grokproject/setup.py
         version="0.8dev"
   $ easy_install -U grokproject
   ... finds the develop egg in grokproject checkout