[Grok-dev] ZCML (was: 0.14 todo list)

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Thu Jul 31 04:33:36 EDT 2008

I hate ZCML but I appreciate your point about understanding an
application by reading it but in Zope3 projects the ZCML gets quite
hairy and long quite quickly and it looses it value. If you need a
overview of the app, perhaps we can have a script or something that
inspects the files and the files content and from that works out a,
for example, ascii tree of how classes, interfaces and templates are
connected.

2008/7/31 Jan Ulrich Hasecke <juhasecke at googlemail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> the following is no answer to Roberts statement, I am quite sure that he
> does not meant it the way I understood it. It is addressed to the whole Grok
> community.
>
> Am 31.07.2008 um 03:23 schrieb Robert Gravina:
>>
>> ZCML is dead! Long live the Grok!
>

> I am more and more uneasy about these statements, though only about the
> first part. ;-)
>
> If you get an application from someone else, you only have to look into the
> ZCML-files and you will soon understand the architecture of the application.
> The redundancy which violates the DRY-law, seems to me helpful if you read
> the application.
>
> Writing ZCML sucks, but it sucks if you do it with vim, emacs or whatever
> editor you like. If we had a ZCML-aware IDE, it would be possible to build a
> valid ZCML-file with a few mouse clicks.
>
> If you take the ZCML-files as a blueprint of your application, it seems to
> me a clean tool to master really big an complex applications. I cannot
> foster this with my own experience, but I've heard people say that ZCML
> saved their lives.
>
> And from a marketing point of view these statements are really bad. How
> shall I solicit Zope, if more and more people tell me that the tool that
> hold all these components together sucks? How shall I convey trust to the
> public, if the Zope guys start to build up a new framework every five years?
>
> Let Grok smash ZCML, it is nice to have more than one way to build web
> applications, but don't curse ZCML.
>
> juh
>
> --
> DZUG e.V. (Deutschsprachige Zope User Group)
> http://www.zope.de

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com
home www.peterbe.com