[Grok-dev] Re: ZCML

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Jul 31 05:02:12 EDT 2008

Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> I hate ZCML but I appreciate your point about understanding an
> application by reading it but in Zope3 projects the ZCML gets quite
> hairy and long quite quickly and it looses it value. If you need a
> overview of the app, perhaps we can have a script or something that
> inspects the files and the files content and from that works out a,
> for example, ascii tree of how classes, interfaces and templates are
> connected.

Or you have a webapp that you can enable in your Grok instance, which is
what Uli's And Martin's new introspector stuff will let you do. It's
being developed as part of the GSoC program.

We do realize that the lack of an explicit configuration file separated
from the code may make it harder to see what's going on. We hope that a
powerful introspector will alleviate this problem.

I also hope to enhance the grokkers and/or Martian so that they equip
configuration actions with more information which could then be
inspected. Both ZCML and grokkers emit actions.