[Grok-dev] Re: SVN: Sandbox/ulif/grokintrospector/ Create a sandbox for Grok-related introspector stuff.

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jun 17 13:40:08 EDT 2008

Hey,

Thanks Philipp for watching here.

I'm not sure what the difference between the two is intended to be yet.
I know Uli and I discussed separating the admin UI (installation of
applications, server info, restart) from the introspector UI, so I
imagine that's what this split is about.

grokadmin appears to be an extension of Grok. That's good. But it also
contains a copy Grok on the side. If you need to have Grok available so
you can make changes, please do branch Grok in 'branches' and use an
svn:external to that branch (or just point the trunk, if you expect your
changes in Grok itself to be relatively minor). Don't put copies of Grok
in your sandbox.

grokintrospector does appear to be a straight copy of Grok (and thus
should be a branch of Grok). I'm confused why this isn't a grok
extension as well.

I think we should be focusing on simple light-weight packages that are
developed independently of other packages (such as Grok) as much as
possible.

Note that Grok extensions tend to be called 'megrok.*'. So I'd suggest
megrok.admin and megrok.introspector for the package names.