[Grok-dev] Re: STORM howto

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sun Mar 16 08:33:34 EDT 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Cool to see so much work going on. Is one of those libraries just a
>> Python library that integrates schemas with SQLAlchemy, or is this all
>> mixed with other stuff?
>
> I'm pretty sure collective.tin and collective.mercury are intended to be
> standalone.

Having glanced at collective.mercury, I see it does code generation. I
was hoping it generated schemas from tables at run-time (and was
wondering how it took care of some of the initialization complexities
involved), but instead it generates Python modules.

I don't like code generation much...

(the license is also GPL, which I'd like to avoid for Grok)

collective.tin has dependencies on Plone. At first glance, it looks like
the implementation of a Zope 2 containerish thing similar to Christian's
work on the Storm container to Grok. Not immediately useful to Grok,
though perhaps the experiences there are of use.