[Grok-dev] Re: STORM howto

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Mar 16 10:02:40 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Interesting, so now there's z3c.zalchemy, z3c.sqlalchemy and
> collective.lead which all aim to offer the same thing here. I'm curious
> to hear what lead (heh, pun) to collective.lead, given that at least
> z3c.zalchemy must already have been around.

collective.lead aims to be very minimalistic and only take care of
transaction management and session initialisation. At the time when I
wrote it, at least, all the other solutions had various other layers of
abstraction that simply weren't necessary for simple SQLAlchemy integration.

At the end of the day, it shouldn't matter hugely which one of these you
use (though I personally prefer collective.lead, even if I'm biased,
because it's so minimalistic and because it assumes you want to access
your database via a utility lookup; it's also the only solution to offer
proper two-phase commit support as far as I'm aware). Once you have a
proper SQLAlchemy session, the patterns should be all the same.

Martin