[Grok-dev] Towards Grok 0.14

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Sep 16 19:36:18 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

The summer is over, I moved house, it's time to look at a Grok 0.14 release.

Let's look at what we have now. We spun off a lot of stuff:

* grok.admin has been spun off into grokui.admin

* there's also grokcore.view, grokcore.security and grokcore.formlib.
Why aren't these listed in Grok's CHANGES.txt, though? Has
grokcore.formlib been finalized and merged into trunk?

We've also worked on some changes to the way Grok works:

* the way skins get set up has changed, from 'grok.Skin' to a directive
you can set on any layer. We should also fix up the way we do REST this way.

* Soon JW and I hope to change a few things to the way grok.View picks
up templates.

Finally, we started to make sure the tests on the trunk run with Python
2.5. I think Grok 0.14 should mark the official release to support
Python 2.5. Someone please test this scenario on windows!

Looks like we won't make it with out-of-the-box WSGI support in this
release; a major wishlist item for this release. We need people to drive
this process.

Any items that are in progress on the trunk right now and haven't been
finished yet?

Shall we set a release date for Grok 0.14 later this month/early october?

This also ties into grokproject; recently I posted a list of issues with
it and I hope we can release a new version of grokproject (and
eggbasket, etc) that fixes some of these soon.