[Grok-dev] How you can help improving Windows support

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Fri Apr 10 09:05:05 EDT 2009

Hi there,

I start a new thread to keep everybody up to date.

We currently have several serious Windows-related install problems with
Grok.

Some people already started to improve that situation by filing bug
reports, writing docs or thinking about steps that need to be taken.
Many thanks to everybody who contributed! Most of the tasks, especially
bug fixes, will require more time but there is also something that can
be done immediately:

* if you experience a bug during Grok install which you think is
  related to Windows:

   Please file a bug report on https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok

   Please make sure, the term `windows` appears in the bug title.

   There is of course no need to file a bug that is already filed.
   Launchpad will give you appropriate hints if it thinks that your bug
   was already filed.

   Some additional hints can be found on:

     http://wiki.zope.org/grok/WindowsSupportPlans

   which now seems to be our "workplace" for Windows support. There is
   not much yet but this will change soon.

* Roger Erens already put a Win install HowTo on

   http://wiki.zope.org/grok/WindowsInstallation

  Thanks a lot, Roger! This should make its way to grok.zope.org. Is
  someone willing to port the text over? Maybe Roger yourself?

* Rogers install howto might also serve as a nice basis for us to start:

  If one follows this howto on a clean system, what errors/problems
  occur? Everyone who is able to do so, might add experiences on

     http://wiki.zope.org/grok/WindowsSupportPlans

  where I added an extra section for that and/or file bug reports as
  mentioned above. Of course you can also use the mailing list.

All this is now also written down to the above ZWiki, which Behrang
Dadsetan already enriched with some general ideas (thanks Dadsetan!).

Beside this Trent Nelson of snakebite.org announced, that there will be
(public) progress with snakebite in about one week.

Best regards,

--
Uli