[Grok-dev] How you can help improving Windows support

Roger Erens roger.erens at e-s-c.biz
Sun Apr 12 16:19:10 EDT 2009

on 10-4-2009 15:05 Uli Fouquet wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I start a new thread to keep everybody up to date.

> * Roger Erens already put a Win install HowTo on
>
>    http://wiki.zope.org/grok/WindowsInstallation

Uhm, the first incantation was written by Shane Graber some 2+ years
ago. I just happened to be the last visitor to write a comment. Shane
deserves the glory, not me.

>   Thanks a lot, Roger! This should make its way to grok.zope.org. Is
>   someone willing to port the text over? Maybe Roger yourself?

Done, but I followed quite a different approach: not starting with a
bare Zope installation followed by downloading a Grok-tarbal, but much
more resembling the current installation instructions for GNU/Linux
(install python and win32all, easy_install grokproject, etc.).

> * Rogers install howto might also serve as a nice basis for us to start:
>
>   If one follows this howto on a clean system, what errors/problems
>   occur? Everyone who is able to do so, might add experiences on
>
>      http://wiki.zope.org/grok/WindowsSupportPlans
>
>   where I added an extra section for that and/or file bug reports as
>   mentioned above. Of course you can also use the mailing list.

Since I only have OEM-licensed Windows, I cannot start with a clean
(virtualized) environment each time a grok/grokproject release is made.
Therefore there may be some legacy settings stemming from actions that I
forgot to mention.

I hope the installation howto will get many eyeballs so that all
remaining problems will become shallow. Head over to:

http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/install-on-ms-windows

Thanks,

Roger