[Grok-dev] debug.ini breaks the admin ui

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:42:41 EDT 2009

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> If you install Grok besides the issue of getting the wrong version of
> grokui.admin, it also doesn't work when you use debug.ini. That doesn't
> actually help the installation experience either.
>
> When I go to localhost:8080 instead of seeing the admin screen I see an
> error page (because the system raises Unauthorized).
>
> I still believe that we should make debug.ini ignore Unauthorized and
> NotFound and actually let them be interpreted properly by Zope. These
> are not exceptions we want to debug.

+1

However, wasn't that exactly the problem - the
exception-catching-middleware interfacing with zope has no way of
declaring what exceptions *not* to catch?

If I understood correctly it is actually a limitation in zope where you
can only turn off zope's exception handling completely or have it turned
on (this is actually something one can do in ftests as well, i.e. with
the test browser, where one can say "browser.handleErrors = False" that
gets passed on to zope).

In other words, the debug.ini complaints are directed to somewhat the
wrong party - even though I agree the enduser experience is bad and
should be improved; maybe should remove the debug.ini alltogether and
first see the issue fixed in zope (and/or the exception middleware
whatchamacallit).

regards,
jw