[Grok-dev] data.fs location

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Fri Aug 21 06:36:04 EDT 2009

Hi Tim,

Tim Cook wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 09:28 +0000, Reinout van Rees wrote:
> > On 2009-08-21, Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for all the input everybody! Looks like there is a majority view
> > > that logs, blobs and Data.fs data are better located in adequate
> > > top-level directories. I share this opinion.
> > >
> > > So, grokproject will switch to create the mentioned top-level
> > > directories to store data etc. in future releases.
> >
> > So:
> >
> > var/log/          (zope's logfiles)
> > var/filestorage/  (the Data.fs)
> > var/blobstorage/  (the blob files)
>
> Sounds good to me.

Okay, then let's do it this way :-)

> Uli,
> For (my) planning purposes do you have a time frame on when this may
> happen?

Sure. The grokproject update (in trunk) will happen today or tomorrow,
depending on what difficulties appear :-)

A new grokproject _release_ is a different topic: currently generated
projects (generated by grokproject-trunk) are not compatible with
existing grok releases (but only with the unreleased grok trunk), mainly
because of the new grok.View security declaration. In current
(unreleased) grokproject paster site.zcml template we define::

  <grant permission="grok.View"
         principal="zope.Anybody" />

Here we use a permission only available with newer grokcore.security and
not part of older grok-eggbaskets up to grok-1.0a4.

I think we need a solution for this before a release. If we would
release grokproject right now, no one could create working projects with
it.

Best regards,

--
Uli