[Grok-dev] ZTK and zopeapp

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Dec 30 10:28:27 EST 2009

Souheil CHELFOUH wrote:
> I would love to be able to ditch zope.app out of grok. This can be
> used by extensions libraries, but, Grok itself has no reason to use
> it, according to me.
> We need, of course, to provide alternatives, especially for advanced
> features, like authentication, etc.
> In Dolmen, I try to avoid the use of zope.app also. I'm not sure what
> needs to be done for Grok 1.1 though.
> What decision is needed ? What do we need to do ?

Currently (but this is temporary) we have two version lists we can use:

the ZTK list (on a branch for now):

http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/zopetoolkit/branches/faassen-smaller/ztk.cfg

the zopeapp list (in a sandbox for now):

http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/faassen/zopeapp/trunk/zopeapp.cfg

Ideally Grok should only use ztk.cfg (by copying it for now, otherwise
we'll get breakages and such), and not depend on anything on zopeapp.

zopeapp should be useful to people who use Grok when they transition
their applications to Grok 1.1, so we should supply that version list as
well so we give users some support in picking out the right version of
the zopeapp packages they may be using.

We should also supply an extra backwards compatibility package that
depends on all zopeapp packages for these people. This shouldn't be
needed in new Grok 1.1 installs however.

Of course it may be that we discover that certain zope.app packages are
really essential to the operation of Grok. One example of this I know
about is zope.app.form to support zope.formlib, both currently not
considered part of the ZTK. (and these in turn pull in other zope.app.
stuff at present, something we need to resolve)