[Grok-dev] five.grok manual

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 04:07:49 EST 2009

Hi folks,

I've just finished a relatively detailed manual on using five.grok in
Plone. It is aimed largely at people using the Dexterity type system,
since Dexterity also provides other grokkers and encourages people to
use the Grok approach, but it is not Dexterity-specific.

It also serves as a Zope Component Architecture primer, using Grok for
all the examples.

I would think about 80% of this would apply to "plain Grok" as well,
with minor modifications (like not importing from five.grok in the
examples).

Note that I've chosen not to describe certain things that five.grok
supports, because I don't feel they fit into the Plone model or have
some other issues that make me uncomfortable recommending them. I have
attempted to list those on the last page of the manual.

You can find the manual here:

   http://plone.org/products/dexterity/documentation/manual/five.grok

Consider this an open invitation to borrow any and all part of this (an
attribution would be nice) for grok.zope.org if you want to use it to
build the same kind of thing for "plain Grok". In particular, I think
the "ZCA intro" would be useful; at least I couldn't find a good ZCA
primer that wouldn't confuse people with a Grok mindset, wanting to use
Grok syntax.

Cheers,
Martin