[Grok-dev] grokproject pins setuptools, zc.buildout et.al.

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 05:45:33 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm ambivalent about this topic: pinning the versions of zc.buildout and
setuptools and related packages in the version list of a project.

But this is the situation:

A project built with grokproject will have a versions.cfg file that is a
copy of the latests grok "kgs" file found online and in addition will
have list the following packages:

Paste = 1.7.2
PasteDeploy = 1.3.2
PasteScript = 1.7.3
setuptools = 0.6c9
collective.recipe.template = 1.4.0
z3c.evalexception = 2.0
z3c.recipe.dev = 0.5.3
z3c.recipe.i18n = 0.5.3
z3c.recipe.mkdir = 0.3.1
zc.buildout = 1.1.1
zc.lockfile = 1.0.0
zc.recipe.egg = 1.1.0
zc.recipe.filestorage = 1.0.1

Now we have the situation that there's a newer setuptools package
released, that I have installed in my virtualenv (as it fixes for one an
ugly bug related to subversion 1.6 and up). Having installed
setuptools0.6c11 in my virtualenv conflicts during buildout with the
version listed in my newly created project. Ugh.

So there's my "ambivalence": should we really pin versions of
buildout-related infrastructure and even setuptools in projects or not?
If it were not pinned, I would not have had a problem, where the
intention of pinning these packages was to prevent any problems from
happening in the first place.

Opinions?

regards,
jw