[Grok-dev] post 1.0 Grok development wishlist

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Oct 6 13:25:30 EDT 2009

Hi there,

In the hope of prompting some discussions and development activity, here
is a list of post 1.0 Grok wishlist items I have or know about:

* Martian 0.12 porting. Martian 0.12 has a better story about how
inheritance and grok directives interact, and we want Grok to use this.
We made quite a bit of progress on this during the sprint, but the
porting isn't completed yet.

* related to this, grokcore.view refactoring so that templatedir() and
template() behave more predictably.

* related to this, exploring a step towards more explicit directives,
less implicit rules. We could experiment with a megrok.explicit
extension which requires a lot more directives to be present.

* the new grokui.admin, which is a lot more pluggable and hopefully will
lead to the creation of all sorts of plugins (introspector is one,
application configuration screens could be another).

* ZTK integration. Grok and grokcore.* should use the ZTK packages, not
Zope 3.4 anymore.

* Python 2.6 support. The ZTK integration will help a lot.

* megrok.layout integration. Look into integrating megrok.layout
functionality into the Grok core. This would require some discussion on
megrok.layout to see what shape this integration could best be like.

* z3c.hashedresource and hurry.resource integration. Some work was done
at the sprint to explore this.

* declarative model-level security decorators/directives, for the case
where Grok's "view-only" security system isn't enough and security
proxies are desired.

Anything else? Please discuss! Volunteers who want to work on this?