[Grok-dev] find-links instead of eggbasket

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 03:40:07 EDT 2010

Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>  From the discussion earlier it looks like we can reliably use
> find-links instead of eggbasket, with a caveat concerning timeout.
>
> So, I propose:
>
> * we devise a way to make our own index for Grok on
>    grok.zope.org/releaseinfo. This should contain basically what the
>    eggbasket contains (including windows eggs and such). So perhaps we
>     can use eggbasket. compoze is also a tool we should consider.
>
> * we use the same structure we already had proposed for downloading the
>    versions info, though it turns out due to the extends cache we don't
>    strictly need it. I'd say: grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/1.1/eggs/ or
>    something for the eggs for Grok 1.1. We can put the versions list also
>    under grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/1.1/versions.cfg
>
> * we then add a find-links to our standard grokproject-generated grok
>    projects that points to this. We remove the eggbasket stuff from
>    grokproject-generated projects.
>
> * there was some talk about adding timeout facilities to buildout. This
>    doesn't sound strictly necessary to ensure Grok eggs will be fetched
>    from grok.zope.org, as find-links is reported to be followed first,
>    but we should at least explore what's optimal here for a typical
>    Grok installation.
>
> Hopefully this strategy will make installation for beginners at least as
> smooth as with eggbasket, but installation for users who already have
> installed Grok more smooth as no more downloading of giant tarballs.

For the record: Jan-Jaap and I are working on this. As a small addendum on
bullet two: we will actually put an extends-cache directive in the
buildout.cfg file of the newly created project. The versions.cfg on
releaseinfo/[version]/versions.cfg will itself extend from the groktoolkit
and the zopetoolkit.

regards,
jw