[Grok-dev] Windows: virtualenv and pywin32?

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sat Feb 20 09:06:59 EST 2010

Hi Lacko,

Lacko Roman wrote:

> this is how it worked for me:
>
> 1. download pywin32 package manually from sourceforge site
>     for example this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/Build%20214/pywin32-214.win32-py2.6.exe/download
> 2. In virtualenv do: easy_install <path_to_downloaded_pywin32_package>

Ah, right. That's an obvious solution, I really should have found.
Thanks for that!

So one can perform the two steps in one doing something like:

  easy_install http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/pywin32/pywin32/Build%20214/pywin32-214.win32-py2.5.exe?use_mirror=switch

as easy_install supports also HTTP locations.

Unfortunately other nice easy_install/PyPI features like looking up the
latest version, automatically picking the correct package for the used
Python version/platform etc. cannot be deployed this way. Looks like we
have to live with it.

Anyway I'm happy to hear that apparently the post-install hooks seem to
work meanwhile and that one can use easy_install for pywin32 installs at
all (leaving out problems when lacking admin-permissions, 64-bit Windows
platforms, etc.).

Best regards,

--
Uli