[Grok-dev] how to manage the versions files, a plan

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Feb 26 05:13:20 EST 2010

Hey,

Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 20:59, Leonardo Rochael Almeida
> <leorochael at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wild idea...
>>
>> We should set a group of comments or settings in the generated
>> buildout.cfg that contain a machine-readable location of the original
>> urls for the various .cfg files. Then have grokproject generate a
>> bin/grok-update script that downloads these files from the indicated
>> locations.

I'm +1 to a versions-update script that donwloads the new versions.

Only one URL for the original location would be needed, i.e. pointing to
releaseinfo. Alternatively just the version number of Grok.

Thinking about this some more, I think we should download all the
versions file into a subdirectory, perhaps called 'versions'. That way
it is easy to see which versions are involved and *that* those cfg files
are about versions. When there's a version update, the system simply
removes all files from that directory and downloads the new ones from
the releaseinfo/<versionnumber> directory.

I'm trying to keep this very generic: i.e. there's a URL, it contains
.cfg files, they'll all be downloaded into a versions dir on Grok, and
Grok's buildout.cfg will always extend all of them. That way no specific
knowledge about specific versions files needs to be built into the
system, and we can change the layout when we want to.

The only slightly icky thing is that releaseinfo/1.1 would display an
apache-generated HTML page that we'd need to pluck the versions from.
Possibly instead we could generate a releaseinfo/1.1/MANIFEST file
automatically that contains a manifest of the versions files in the
directory.