[Grok-dev] Grok-dev Digest, Vol 89, Issue 2

Paul Sephton prsephton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 11:31:37 CEST 2015

On 9/25/2015 9:00 AM, Christopher Lozinski wrote:
> Great Question.
>
> I don't use local or global utilities much so I went ahaed and reread
> the documentation.
> And leanred something in the process.
That's really surprising to hear, given your work in porting the Zope 2
ZMI.  I found the structure of the site fascinating.  I thought you must
be a boffin on local utilities to accomplish what you did.

> I do use a PAU Pluggable authentication local utility.  And also
> component registration but the latter I do not notice.
The problem I have been working on, is that the grok.local_utility
directive does not work if you introduce it after the fact to an already
installed and live application.  This is more than a slight irritation
if your site already has data which you want to keep, and you want to
add authentication later.

> I would like to have multiple PAU.  Maybe not yet.  But I do not quite
> know how all of registration works.
Ok, now that I have got it all going I can help with that.  I will be
documenting it in my wiki's data soon.

> Philosophically I like to think of zodb as a graph of objects, indexed
> as a tree.  One should be able to browse the tree
> and see a viaual representation of the object.  So there should be a
> default HTML GUI on local utilities.  What I did was I accessed
> the PAU using ++etc++site, although I cannot get that command to work
> this morning.  And I moved it over to my main tree.
AFAIK you can do that manually from inside the bin/interactive_debugger,
but not from the ZMI any more, since the ZMI is so stripped down.  Grok
1.0 had an interactive explorer mode, but that was removed.

> I read your code line by line.  The second time, after reading the
> manual it all made sense to me.
>
> This should not be that hard to debug.  In getUtility or query utility
> add a pdb, and see why the global utility is being
> returned before the local utility.
You know what they say? that assumption is the mother of all ...???

Well, I had assumed that if I register a named local utility, that a
normal queryUtility() without specifying the name would find it by
preference over the global utility.

In reality, all utilities are named- the default name being an empty
string.  So queryUtility() when given a name finds that utility by name,
but if not given a name, queryUtility() finds the matching utility with
a name of an empty string.

A named utility cannot be located using queryUtility() unless a name is
specified as an argument.

The queryUtilitiesFor(<interface>) can find all registered utilities
regardless of name.

> <snip>
> I hope that helps.  I certainly leanred a lot in replying.
>
> I forget where you are located.  Are you interested in a grok sprint?
Thanks for your help.  It is always useful to talk to another warm
blooded intelligence, even as a sounding board.

I am afraid sprints are aout for me. I am located in South Africa :-(