[Gsoc] proposal suggestions

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Wed Apr 2 05:25:49 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> wrote:
> >  Welcome, Number Three ;-) The problem is in fact, that every single
> >  proposal focuses on a different environment: plain Zope2/Plone (Martin
> >  Lundwall), Grok (my propsal) and Zope 3 (your proposal) and that all
> >  should share a certain amount of code.
>
> Also, your proposal concentrates on the
> object-inspector/documentation-viewer, while Martin and Jespers
> proposal is about the component registry. These are not technically
> overlapping, very much, but integration would be very useful, so that
> you can go from the object inspector to the component registry, and
> back with the click of a button.

Well, in a way. In fact the current docgrok and the Grok object
introspector are tied up (or "integrated"), where the latter uses
functionality from the first, where appropriate. So you can examine a
ZODB object (introspector) supplemented by information grabbed in the
respective package by docgrok etc. So 'introspector' in my proposal
means both: the ZODB browser and the package browser. I should have make
that clearer in my proposal.

> >  Hmm, overall we might cope best, if I stick on the docgrok to do
> >  introspecting, while Martin could build the base for (better) future
> >  introspectors and Jesper might concentrate on the improved PAU interface
> >  for Grok. What do you think?
>
> Martin is concentrating on the component registry introspector, so
> Jesper might look at building the base for better object inspectors,
> and Uli on the documentation tool?

By "documentation tool" you mean the Grok introspecor/docgrok? And by
"object inspectors" basically a ZODB browser/information gatherer? Well,
why not? What do you think, Jesper?

I forgot to mention: if we have really an oversupply of student
applications I'd gladly retract my own, so that first others get the
chance I already had last year.

Kind regards,

--
Uli