[Gsoc] MI: port Zope 3 to Jython

Adam agroszer.ll at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 10:44:08 EST 2008

Hi,

> * Spreading some of our basic technologies to Jython wouldn't hurt
> their adoption (zope.interface, zope.component).

There are plenty of real good packages out there for Zope, but all
depend on such basics. Even when the whole Zope 'core' cannot be
ported, these would open up possibilities.

> * In general such an announcement would indicate Zope is a player
> here, which would help in marketing.

Kind of "Tired of J2EE? Relax with Zope 3 on the same JVM"
(some bits taken from wxPython and Robin)
Or sneak into the java world via the backdoor ;-)

> * The hardest challenge would be to port various C libraries to JVM.
> zope.interface to the JVM might be an interesting challenge. It's
> possible these shouldn't be ported to Jython directly but to Java for
> performance reasons.

Porting the C libraries will be surely painful. (btw, zope.interface
can be imported already with the Jython trunk, but haven't run the tests
yet (because it has the C code implemented in Python too))
Performance? Who knows? Maybe the JVM would even give some speedup,
but I'm just guessing here.

> * Of course the ZODB is probably the hardest challenge, and I don't
> know whether it is possible right now. Just the research on what is
> and what isn't possible would be, at least, of benefit to Jython if we
> give feedback. Note that Lovely Systems is now able to use Zope 3
> without the ZODB so it wouldn't be strictly necessary (though then
> instead some relational object mapper would be necessary)

Surely ZODB and dependecies have plenty of C code. But I think that it
could be possible to run without a ZODB and/or let's say use the
persistency story of J2EE.

--
Best regards,
 Adam                            mailto:agroszer at gmail.com