[ZDP] Re: [Zope] reality check

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 22:05:40 +0100

Tom Deprez wrote:

> Mmmm,
>
> Hi Rik,
>
> I understand your feeling.... That's also why I stopped writing on ZBook a
> few months back... however I started again working on ZDP and probably soon
> writing for ZBook... I've read your posts and even replyed to the first
> one... the others I didn't, sorry about that... the problem is that I don't
> know where these chapters are placed in ZBook, like with most drafts,
> because we don't have a good tool yet to order them.

I understand, Tom. Wasn't the ZCL not meant for that. On the other hand,
my Changing Contexts is apart from that. It is something I thought would
be useful as a more integrated treatment of the whole Zope matter, not
broken down by subsection, but more in a conceptual way. But that said,
I've no idea where it fits in the ZBook. Wouldn't it be a good idea to
have, say
- a reference section, treating topics like installing, DTML, Z Storage,
Z Security,
 Z Database etc. - and a more general/conceptual section, with topics
like:
* what is Zope,
* what can it be used for
* The place of Zope in the market
* Zope and other aplication servers
* A first Zope application (roughly your first two Chapters if I recall
rightly, Tom).
* Changing contexts in Zope
* extending Zope (ZClasses, Python Products, mixed approaches)
* this should finish with a chapter called the road to enlightenment.
But what it would contain??????????????

> I also already asked people to update their status at the ZDP-list, but not
> much people replyed (1 or 2..!)... how then can you try to get something
> moving? These status updates can be silly... but! they're important so that
> we know we're not alone working on ZDP!!
> Also, I'm waiting what DC wants to do with ZDP... do they still want our
> help, or are they going to do something else?
>
> At the moment, I've some days off and I'm going to try the following out :
>
> 1. Finishing my Delphi components (yes, still got other things to do!)

Hm, we must officially frown upon this, you understand this don't you
;-)

> 2. Redesigning ZDP:8080

Good. Tell us if you need help

> 3. Looking at KnowledgeBase kit and FlexFAQ to see if we can use them as the
> ZDP tools... (I don't think there are others and I can't make them myself).

Haven't looked closely enough at these to see if they are useful.

> 4. Making some zclasses, so everybody can put his status on the site.
> 5. Publishing the letters of the publishers

Ah, interesting

> 6. Ordering all the drafts, so people get an idea about the contents of
> ZBook.

Yep, very useful

> 7. .... lot's of things to do, isn't it?

quite so. I'm afraid I can't offer too much time to help. I'm willing to
comment and review, though.

> Then, if I don't get any replies to this, then I'm wondering what I'm doing
> here... I hope this won't be the case.

Never despair ;-)

Rik