[ZDP] Proposal: A Zope Website Tutorial

Eron Lloyd woodsage@op.net
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:24:16 -0500

Hey ZDP, this is Eron Lloyd, one of the newest members of the ZDP. I
guess this is my formal introduction (hello all!). I've got a lot of
ideas; for starters, I think a really good tutorial is needed. The one
in the Content Manager's guide is good, but I think it needs a bit more.
I'm still learning Zope, but I think I now know enough to get started
working on a real life project. I'd like to document each step of the
way, both to reinforce what I've learned and to produce a good
step-by-step guide on the production of a dynamic site. I might hit a
few common brickwalls, but if you guys are willing to help me get
through these "newbie traps" I think I could do a good job. I just
recently set up an EarthSave chapter (www.earthsave.org) for my area,
and I would like to setup a site that can be a good resource for the
community. Some of the basic things I'd like to create and document the
steps to accomplish them are:

- Basic Installation/setup
- Image usage
- Table usage
- Frame usage
- DTML, DTML Method/Document usage
- FTP usage
- Member login (cookie based)
- Recipe index (ZCatalog-based)
- News section
- Events section
- Email notifications
- Navigation bar
- Site search
- Print-format documents
- Creation of template products (for recipe, news, & events submissions)

- Versions
- Stylesheets

I have all the content I need (including images), and I'd like to
perspective to change from site admin. to member user to anonymous user,
so the different capabilities are illustrated. Like I said, I might hit
a lot of newbie traps, but this would really help others gain some
insight to developing a complete site (zite? :-) in Zope. Then, we could
package the whole thing up, and people could download all the files and
work through the tutorials. Neat, huh?

Let me know - I'm probably going to start the site next week.

Happy holidays and a peaceful millenium,

Eron