[ZDP] mod_pcgi vs. pcgi

Tom Deprez Tom.Deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:07:04 +0200

>PCGI is a CGI script that is started via the normal CGI startup process
>when a request comes in for that script, like
>http://www.myserver.com/cgi-bin/Zope.cgi
>
>mod_pcgi is an Apache module that does the same thing as the PCGI CGI
>script but doesn't need to be separately started up every time, thus
>speeding up access. As an Apache module, it is part of the Apache process
>itself.

mmm, I thought PCGI was just developed to get this persistency already...
i.e. PCGI starts up a Pyhton process and keeps it running for a while. Thus
the name persistant CGI. This PCGI could then be used in every CGI enabled
webserver and thus give better performance then with a CGI...?

aha, thus a mod_pcgi goes a little bit further... even better performance
then using PCGI with Apache, because it is written as an native Apache
module (thus also limiting it to Apache web server)... Correct?

How about installation? Is one easier than the other (i.e. mod_pcgi vs.
pcgi in Apache) Has one method some drawbacks?

Tom.