[ZDP] OpenContent issues

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 18 May 1999 19:18:23 +0200

David Ascher wrote:

> Anyway, all this is *not* to say that the ZDP should aim to produce a
> book. Just that *someone* should produce a Zope book, and I was guessing
> that the most likely candidates for such a project are on this mailing
> list.

Hm, I hadn't thought of that yet -- that the most likely candidates for
a book project could be on this list. Anyway, there's a possibility for
a conflict of interests there, between the ZDP-ers and the
ZDP-ers/authors. Or possibly there isn't. What do you all think?

That said, I agree completely Zope books should be written! I'm not
against books at all, and neither is the ZDP. I was just trying to say
that the ZDP's focus isn't a book, and also that "who knows, maybe the
ZDP people will write a book after all".

> FWIW, I think the fewer authors the better for a book.
> Consistency of style enhances readability.

I agree entirely that consistency of style is very important in a book.
And consistency of vision. That's why I don't see the ZDP working
towards a book just yet. It *might* be possible to produce a book in a
sort of 'open source' collaboration fashion, but I haven't seen much of
this happen yet. That's why I stated that this isn't our focus.

Anyway, it seems we agree anyway, so what am I arguing. :)

Regards,

Martijn