[ZDP] Réf. : [ZDP] About Michel posting

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:46:05 -0500

kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now, I suppose we have to alter ZCL for ZBook to address more advanced
> stuff.
> But I hope there would not be too many things removed from the current
> version.
> The current version seems to me like a reference guide for a large audience
> including Web designers and integrators, and Information Architects.

Note that my suggestion about going for an advanced audience was just
that, a suggestion.

Dody wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have your comment about the latest twist in ZBook :)
>
> As you see, Michel of DC has declared that he's writing a book on Zope,
> for beginner, in a tutorial type of note. Sounds like ZBook, isn't it ?
> :)
>
> Now, are we going forward as planned, which means we compete, or we
> alter the original goals of ZBook. I'm ok with both, but at this point,
> I rather finish the book.

I suppose, somewhat unfairly, that I have an advantage, because any
possible detriment a second book would have on my book would be nothing
compared to the benefit two books would give Zope.  Being a DC employee
then, it is better for me if there ARE two books.

These statements, however, are not necessarily true.  First, there is no
reason why someone would buy one book or the other, it's quite possible
they'll buy both.  Second, two books is not just an advantage to me, but
to the whole community.

Also, Tom mentioned a worry about being left holding the bag (a
peanut?).  This isn't really a problem, lots of book contracts get
cancelled because the author simply couldn't complete the project for
sincere reasons (like having no co-authors).  In situations like this,
the publisher will go to the effort to find a co-author for you, perhaps
one who has written a book for them in the past.  Also, there is no
penalty for not completing a book, you simply have to return any
advances they've given you.  It's really a low-risk proposition.

Further, the publisher does alot of the hard work for you, layout,
design, editing, indexing etc.  They will review the book periodically
and even hire reviewers to read the material and report back to you (New
Riders has in fact asked me if in the future they could contact me about
being a reviewer for other python/zope books they do, something I would
be happy to do).

-Michel