[ZDP] 5 points for discussion

Dody Gunawinata dody_g@eles.com
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:00:39 +1000

Simon Michael wrote:

> Tom Deprez <tom.deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:
> > I forgot our loginname/password on the zope site :-(.
>
> ZDP, sandbox
>
> > Perhaps someone can put a link there to the ZDP one and put it on
> > the Zope news?
>
> I logged in as ZDP and created a private news item to see how it
> works. ( http://www.zope.org/Members/ZDP/19991011-zbook-status-page )
>
> To submit this for the front page, we just click the button on the
> Catalog management tab and it gets listed subject to approval. You
> could do this now, but first I'd like to offer a few points for
> discussion:
>
> 1. what kinds of event should ZDP announce as news items ? I think
> Tom's page qualifies. Let's agree so that ZDP news items are somewhat
> consistent. Perhaps a pre-announcement here on the list would ensure
> this. The DC moderator has final say of course.

I guess we'd better wait until some things get fixed. Or at least it
look a bit
'better' before announcing it on the ZDP main page.

> 2. I propose that when creating news items, our ids should follow some
> consistent scheme such as the above: YYYYMMDD-short-title.

Yes.

> 3. I propose that the first ZDP news item that we post should announce
> the Members/ZDP page and the zdp.zope.org site and their relationship.

Yes.

> 4. as I understand it, this is our current policy: Members/ZDP is
> purely for news announcements and for raising awareness of
> zdp.zope.org.  All actual ZDP content will be on zdp.zope.org, or at
> least linked there.
>
> Personally I still think we'd make our lives easier by using
> Members/ZDP as the primary ZDP site.  But if not, I propose we make it
> redirect to zdp.zope.org, so that there is only one visible ZDP home
> page.

zdp.zope.org offers a lot of potential to support ZCL when we have a
large number
of writers. I'm not too concerned about it now. What I think we need to
do is to MARKET
ZDP/ZBook/ZCL to the community. Many Zope user might not even know that
we are working on
ZCL.

To market it, we need :
- Faqs (How to join, etc)
- ZCL
- Contents.

So who'd like to become our snake-oil salespeople (pc) ? :)

> 5. furthermore, how can we ensure that the ZDP home page keeps up to
> date. Call me radical but I say add a big "edit this page" link, no
> password required - in that case I would fix it right now. Or, someone
> with access there could commit to incorporating anything mentioned in
> a ZDP news item. All suggestions welcome!

Go for it Simon !

> -Simon

Dody