[ZDP] New activity page

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 14:03:53 +0100

Hi Rik !

Rik Hoekstra wrote:
> > What's changed on ZDP ?
>
> The only thing that bothers me is, that it's a bit long. Of course, this
> is a good thing (because it shows how much has been done). Would it be a
> good idea to make something like: 345 items changed with a link to a
> details page. This would keep the page short, keep the people informed
> about the activity and not bother them with too many details. Or perhaps
> break down the list by meta type: 30 activities changed, 40 comments, 3
> new drafts?

I think the best would be to break the activity items somewhere around
20 items, and then link to the activity page where you can have the
activity shown by different aspects. For example in chronological orde,
by meta_type and author.

> > Yes. I don't like the name Ressources. Maybe we should make a button
> > Mailing list ? Relating to mailing lists, I have an idea: Wouldn't it
> > be great to have a script which automatically uploads the mail from
> > the mailing list to the ZDP site ?
>
> This would be wonderful

Good to hear that someone else thinks this is a good idea, because in
my opinion very much information peacefully rests in mailing lists and
is never ever put to use. For example I would not have started the
ZDP-Tools-project without looking in the ZDP-archives and finding the most
interesting postings by Jim Salmons (www.sohodojo.com).

> > Does anyone know of such a product ?
>
> No. It has been suggested on the list that you'd use the unix procmail
> tool for this, but I do not know if that's feasible on zdp and if it's
> desirable to do this without human intervention.

The messages would need to have a short lifetime like 48 hours or so,
and if they are not ripped apart and dragged around the ZDP site in
that time, they are simply deleted from ZDP.

> I do not know wether the notmail or worldpilot products have any support
> for this. But they work with imap folders, which is probably not very
> feasible for the ZDP site.

I don't know much about these products. I also don't know much about
IMAP other than that it is the successor of POP3 ?

> I myself have been working of a 'digest' type of product, that allows
> people to use their mail client to sort messages into folders and upload
> the mailfolders to a site.

Sounds great. I think we could really use this for ZDP.

> This then splits it into separate messages (a DTML Document derivative)
> and makes it into  split Zope Folders. They  are then searchable by
> the catalog on headers and on body. This works quite well (though I'm
> still working at it), and it enables end users to use their desktop
> tools to sort messages. If you want, we could extend it for ZDP.

You can send me the code, and I will have a look.

> I'd be more than happy to work on it with you (if I can find the time...).
> But perhaps someone has a better idea or a ready made product.

I'll have a look.

Greetings,

Maik