[ZDP] Re: Stuff

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:34:09 +0200

Hi ethan !

ethan mindlace fremen wrote:
> > The ZDP is aiming to become the starting point for the Zope
> > community.
>
> How does this interact with zope.org itself?

In that the aim is the same. All we have to do now is merge.

> > The software on the Zope.org site is not open, so the only thing we can
> > do is do our own thing on ZDP.
>
> How is the software on the Zope.org site not open?

In the sense that I can't change it's implementation.

> How would it be open ?

If the implementation were free to be changed, and free to be downloaded,
and free to be shared.

>  How is the software on the ZDP open ?

In the sense that anyone can change everything, anyone can get the code
and share it with anyone.

> As an anonymous user, I can view_source at zope.org, but there seems
> to be no comparable functionality on ZDP.

Everyone is free to add this feature.

> > > The mailing list is helpful, but it's just too much.
> >
> > I hope that we can integrate the mailing list in the ZDP site, so
> > extracting, citing and giving credit is easier.
>
> Heh.  And I hope to see this in zope.org, too :)

Then let's do it together. There is already a task on the zdp site
for this, which you may want to take into consideration.

> > > And starting using Zope is still too difficult (as has been repeated for a
> > > thousand times). This taken together, ZOpe has no real starting point.
> > > This _will_ put off many people.
> >
> > You can go to one of the ZDP portals for a start. There is a starting
> > point for each type of user. If what you expect to be there isn't
> > existing, you can do something about it, because the ZDP site is
> > completely open.
>
> We're going to be emphasizing this too, though we're planning on carving
> things into only three groups:  developers, site builders, and buisness
> folks.

But then again, in the HelpSystem you are using Content Managers,
DTML Programmers and Python Programmers as category values. Maybe
you want to split the developers into these groups ?

> I am here to work with the community.

I still have the impression lot's of stuff is going on in the background.

> I understand why there's a perception that D.C. has been less than
> responsive, but it's my job to help change that.

I think DC is still not very responsive, at least to my current postings to
this mailing list.

Best regards,

Maik Röder