[ZDP] Keywords and Categories: Discussion based on Use Cases

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:39:43 +0100

>[RH]OK. In what form? Just (1)straight keywords/categories or (2)with
>subcategories? If the first, why not a 'global' registry (please let's keep
>this simple and pragmatic)

mmm, I wouldn't use subcategories.... this would make it too difficult...
Why not let the catagories be on several levels:

eg. you've the categories DTML, Python, Zope...

Then this could be

Zope
  Python
  DTML

But also!

Python
  Zope

Thus categories/subcategories are all the same. How sub they are depends
only on which level they appear.

Tom.

[RH] Agreed for your cases, and perhaps also in the following:

   Security
   * roles
   * permissions
   * passwords
   * authenticated_user

but if you have

   DTML
   * syntax
   * variables

the same could be repeated for python methods and to an extent also to
external methods. In these cases syntax and variables only have meaning in a
specific context. I am not against flattening the category list to
dtml
dtmlsyntax
dtmlvariables
pythonmethods
pythonmethodsvariables

But in these cases you will have to put in more categories (dtml with
dtmlsyntax etc) or the Catalog won't know it's way around

Rik