[ZDP] Keywords and Categories: Discussion based on Use Cases

Jim Washington jwashin@vt.edu
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:27:40 -0500

Perhaps this is just a bit off-topic, but

Sometimes the answer you are looking for is not in any topic you might
think of when you have the question.

As an example, I see often that people want to know if a thing is of a
particular type:

Q.  How do I know if a thing is a list so I can work around the "Strings
are not allowed as input to the in tag" error?

Ordinarily, if one has not read the list archives, the answer is a bit
of an epiphany:

A.  You don't.  Make sure it is a list by using <select multiple
name="myselect:list">.

One would not ordinarily look in "Zope HTML extensions" to find this bit
of wisdom, because the context is "handling variables returned from a
form".

Two things:

1.  Assure that sibling ideas like the above are accessible one from the
other; use hypertext for what is is really good for.  (And let the book
publisher figure out how to put it in print)

2.  I prefer Tables of Contents that relate to what I am trying to do.
I would like to see: "Using select lists", which would walk me through
creating the list to displaying it to doing something with its output,
showing the special pitfalls of multiple selects.  I would not like to
see a TOC with "Zope in HTML Forms" and "<dtml-in>" and "Python lists",
because I would have to somehow zen that these are all related to my
usage of a multiple select.

Just my two cents.

-- Jim Washington