[ZDP] New Site Design

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 04 May 2000 18:44:06 +0100

> > Can you change the "width=600" for the main table to be "width=100%"?
> > It would make more use of my browser...
>
> I18N, L10N and P12N comes later (is already envisioned).

Sorry, what do these mean?

> This is going to be possible. I would like to eliminate the existing
> DraftSubmissionFolders, and put the Drafts under the Subjects/Topics.
> This way you can see that something is already done on this Subject/Topic,
> but it is not yet ready, and you can comment on it. Have you noticed that
> the Subject/Topic Hierarchy almost acts like the ZCL ?

If I understood more about ZCL then maybe ;-)

> WebSiteLink
>
> > That way you could link to anything, say what it contains, and hence have
> > it 'in the ZDP'.
>
> Right.

Cool...

> I am not sure which is the best way for documents that are not hosted on
> ZDP. At the moment I think that it would be ok to put the links inside the
> Subject/Topic Hierarchy, because this changes all the time.

Well, you have two options:

link to them - easier
copy them - more difficult (possible copyright stuff) but much safer

What about a web sucker of some description for this? ZClient?

> > Couldn't check this out 'cos I'm not a member :(
>
> Will make you a member.

Tom beat you to it ;-)

> > Apart from that, it looks great. I think the key is to get everything currently
> > available in the way of documentation into, or referenced from, ZDP and then
> > persuade DC to make the 'documentation' link on zope.org point to zdp.zope.org
> > rather than zope.org/documentation ;-)
>
> That's a good point ;-)

To be honest, I think it is the only reason why ZDP isn't more prominent.
I had this rant before so I'll keep it brief now. Until ZDP is the only source
for Zope documentation, there's no pressure for it to be right or complete.
If it's not right or complete, no-one uses it.
We've got to break that vicious circle somehow and referencing all docs is half
of this. The other half is that DC has to make ZDP the primary documentation
providers.

> [snip the part about Versioning]
> > Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I'm new to this ZDP thing.
> > Let me know if it makes sense/is possible/needs work/etc
>
> Please add this as a Task to the ZDP Projects Task Folder. Then put
> a DiscussionFolder inside. In the DiscussionFolder make a statement
> and ask on the mailing list for comments.

Do you mean to /projects/zdptools/tasks/ ?
If so, I'll do it, but nto until I get an 'OK' 'cos the ZDP management interface
is just a little intimidating for a newbie to ZDP like me :-)

> [Chris Withers]
> > This time on ideas for the Portal Structure:

[snip]

> The SIGs can wait.

Having reading the ZD Plan, I agree with the original tree :-)

cheers,

Chris