[ZDP] New Site Design

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Thu, 04 May 2000 17:27:59 +0200

Hi !

[Chris Withers]
> Can you change the "width=600" for the main table to be "width=100%"?
> It would make more use of my browser...

I18N, L10N and P12N comes later (is already envisioned).

> The breadcrumbs don't always seem to match up with how you got to where you are.
> Of course, having said that, I can't actually find an example. I guess this is
> just part of the development process :-)

The breadcrumbs must work. Still, it seems the table sometimes breaks.

> There doesn't seem to be any way to join. I'd love to do so but can't find out
> how. Is there a review process yet so I can write stuff, then have it reviewed
> before it's published?

This is going to be possible. I would like to eliminate the existing
DraftSubmissionFolders, and put the Drafts under the Subjects/Topics.
This way you can see that something is already done on this Subject/Topic,
but it is not yet ready, and you can comment on it. Have you noticed that
the Subject/Topic Hierarchy almost acts like the ZCL ?

> How's linking to external documents coming along? I'd guess at having a 'link'
> type object/class which has a title, a description and a URL.

WebSiteLink

> That way you could link to anything, say what it contains, and hence have
> it 'in the ZDP'.

Right.

> A good example would be the various bits of the Interfaces Wiki, which seems to
> be the master document for the Zope API right now.

I am not sure which is the best way for documents that are not hosted on
ZDP. At the moment I think that it would be ok to put the links inside the
Subject/Topic Hierarchy, because this changes all the time.

> Couldn't check this out 'cos I'm not a member :(

Will make you a member.

> Apart from that, it looks great. I think the key is to get everything currently
> available in the way of documentation into, or referenced from, ZDP and then
> persuade DC to make the 'documentation' link on zope.org point to zdp.zope.org
> rather than zope.org/documentation ;-)

That's a good point ;-)

[Tom]
> I think there are some layout problems at http://zdp.zope.org/projects/zbook/

[Chris Withers]

[snip the part about Versioning]
> Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I'm new to this ZDP thing.
> Let me know if it makes sense/is possible/needs work/etc

Please add this as a Task to the ZDP Projects Task Folder. Then put
a DiscussionFolder inside. In the DiscussionFolder make a statement
and ask on the mailing list for comments.

[Chris Withers]
> This time on ideas for the Portal Structure:
>
> + - Introduction (newbies, evaluators, the like)

Newbies are separate from Evaluators in that Newbies
have already decided to go with Zope.

> + - Users
> |   |
> |   + - DTML (stuff at the management interface level)
> |   |
> |   + - ZClasses (stuff for people who develop ZClass-based products)

ZClasses are advanced, and belong to the developers section in my opinion,
and also DC's (See Zope Documentation Plan)

> + - Developers
> |    |
> |    + - Products (APIs, etc, for people who develop Python Products)

See Zope Documentation Plan.

> |    + - Application ( stuff for people actually developing Zope itself)

This is for Zope Hackers.

> + - SIGs
>     + - PTK
>     + - ZODB (storage discussions and the like)
>     + - SQL/RDBS
>     + - High Availability

The SIGs can wait.

[Chris Withers]
> I think the interface needs to be made more friendly though :S

Will be done. Basics first. A first step was to show actions in
context. See that Task in the ZDP-Tools Task folder.

> When you're 'reading' the ZBook online and go to a chapter, you should see the
> current 'active' draft, not a list of drafts.

This once was so, but I broke it. We need another versioning system.

> Below this should be a link saying [view other drafts]. The [view other drafts]
> page should have the [add draft] link on it, and I presume Anonymous users are
> supposed to be able to upload drafts?

Put this in you proposed Task.

> I like the way comments are right now (well, taking into account the ZDP
> look&feel not being finished... ;-)

Take a look at the DocumentFolder implementation, and you will see that
all objects and subobjects and subsubobjects are generically listed always
the same.

> Perhaps the second versioning problem I mentioned could be solved by having a
> 'This Applies to' section above/below 'Comments' which details what versions
> that draft applies to.
>
> <pipedream>
> The above 'view the current draft' thing when you go to a chapter would know
> what version of Zope you're using and show the appropriate draft.
> </pipedream>

Put this in the Task as well.

> With the above chanegs, I guess the chapter class could be used to do documents
> in the portal. What does the portal use now?

The portal may use Drafts and DraftSubmissionFolder. I think it would
be good this way, because then you can put the finished Draft in the
right place in the ZBook. Reminds me again of the ZCL.

Thanks for all your comments !

Greetings,

Maik Röder