[ZDP] CSS

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Mon, 8 May 2000 22:20:31 +0200

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 12:54:55PM -0500, Stephan Richter wrote:
> At 07:33 PM 5/8/00 +0200, Maik Roeder wrote:
> >Hi Chris !
> >
> >Chris Withers wrote:
> > > It strikes me that ZDP could really use a decent CSS stylesheet. It
> > > would probably alleviate a lot of the interface problems I've been
> > > bitching about.
> > >
> > > I'm willing to do it given a list of styles that need to be supported,
> > > also what the common use of <UL> and <DL> <DT> <DD> is on the site...
> >
> >I don't think we should use Stylesheets. We have had some problems
> >with stylesheets before, and I don't want to go through that again.
> >
> >The ZDP site should be as simple as possible, and load as fast as possible.
> >CSS would only mean some more precious bytes that need to be loaded.
> >I wish each page would load under one second to make surfing the
> >site really swift. People just need the docs, and don't care about the
> >look.

Well, I also care about the look. Of course it shouldn't be a overloaded with
graphics but it should simply look good/uniform and not like thrown together.

> Wow, I cannot believe you said that.
>
> 1. Stylesheets are your friend. In professional development almost nothing
> is done without them.
> 2. You guarantee a uniform look and feel.
> 3. Stylesheets and Zope work very nice together.
> 4. You load less bytes, since you do not have to specify colors and fonts
> all the time.

And if you're using external style sheets they also will be cached.

It's also easier to handle content with style sheets as you can concentrate
on the content and not the design. I also don't see where problems should come
from (I am using them quite a lot though for basic stuff like fonts, colors, etc.)..

BTW, regarding the site I would also like a sans-serif font as this is IMHO
better readable on monitors (or if CSS is used you can also make it user dependent
in the future - users would just choose which style sheet to use). That's also
the reason why I used it in my ZDP site design.

-- christian