[ZDP] Some remarks about the portal design(s)

Tom Deprez Tom Deprez" <tom.deprez@village.uunet.be
Tue, 9 May 2000 20:06:30 +0200

> > OK. But some small links are needed to all the projects. ie. These
project
> > shouldn't only be accessable through the portal, but also directly.
>
> Look, Tom, a first time visitor of the ZDP site should only see the
Portals
> and no more. Then the visitor can decide where to go. Maybe he is someone
> who is new to Zope, and may choose to go to the Evaluators portal to find
out
> more. He does not yet want to know about the ZQR or DTML specific
questions.

> A Zope user will start from the User Portal once he knows that this is
> the right destination for him. The Zope user is normally not interested
> in the FAQ, but in a Subject or Topic. Scanning the complete FAQ is really
> hard, but going to the context you want to know more about is better,
because
> there you can be sure that you have all resources on this in _one_ place !
>
> The ZDP project members are indeed interested in the FAQ, and also the
> FAQ project. The project is completed, and the FAQ may just be enhanced
> over time by ZDP members.
>
> So, the Zope Documentation Portal is like a  game of Quake. You first
define
> your experience level, and then enter the Level. If the level hurts you
too much
> you can still go back one more level, and train with the Newbies ;-)

Euhm, that why I said that the home page should always contain 'little'
links to the projects! Thus a new visitor to Zope will almost not notice
these 'little' links. He/She will only be attracted to the portal! More
advance users, can use the 'little' links to go to the specific project. OK?

Tom.