[ZDP] Webdesign..

Alexandre Ratti alex@gabuzomeu.net
Tue, 09 May 2000 23:08:44 +0200

Hi again Christian,

At 21:53 09/05/2000 +0200, Christian Scholz wrote:
> > - The page might be slightly too wide. Is it possible to avoid hard-coding
> > the page width so that it can it displays OK even on low-resolution
> screens?
>
>I simply used the tables which I found on the original site. But shouldn't
>width=600 be ok on most browsers and resolutions?

Yes, I think so. AFAIK it will only be too large for users with a 640 x 480
resolution.
I remember reading in a Web guide that the "safe" page width for any
resolution (on PCs I mean) is 535 pixels.
A solution is to use a layout that looks OK with the minimal width and that
can resize itself gracefully when displayed in a higher resolution (eg.
using tables with not hard-coded width).
Maybe we should stick with 600 to keep it simple.

> > - Navigation bar under Zope Documentation Portal: do you plan to use an
> > image map here or can you use individual images for each item (about,
> etc.)
> > with standard links? I'd rather avoid using any map to keep it low tech if
> > we can get away with it.
>
>I thought of single images build with a table. One could then also make
>some sort of rollover easily (and as this part shouldn't change on every
>page this
>could then be cached.)

Sounds good.

> > - At first sight, the Zope logo might be a bit too small compared to the
> > large title.
>
>This was the only one I had - I pulled it from lib/python/Apps/www from the
>Zope installation. If there are others, please tell me.

I just send over by private email a couple of images I had.

Cheers.

Alexandre