[ZDP] BackTalk to Document The Zope Book (2.5 Edition)/Preface

webmaster@zope.org webmaster@zope.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 05:44:28 -0400

A comment to the paragraph below was recently added via http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/Preface.stx#1-0

---------------

  Welcome to *The Zope Book*. This book is designed to introduce you to
  Zope and its uses.  Zope is an open-source web application server.  If
  you are interested in writing web pages, programming web scripts, using
  databases, managing content, or doing a collaborative web development
  task, then you should read this book.

    % mcdonc - Apr. 5, 2002 4:01 pm:
     Please note that folks are encouraged to use the comment buttons to submit comments.  Thanks!

    % Anonymous User - Apr. 5, 2002 6:44 pm:
     The "Comment" buttons are too distracting. I like the idea but small icon on the right in the pastel colour
     should be enough. Large yellow button makes reading the text rather hard.

    % Anonymous User - Apr. 6, 2002 12:03 am:
     Not to "me too", but ditto on the previous comment regarding the Comment button.

    % Anonymous User - Apr. 6, 2002 10:36 am:
     Use the "COM off"/"COM on" button at the top to control whether or not comments and comment buttons are
     displayed.

    % Anonymous User - Apr. 6, 2002 8:07 pm:
     Turning COM off does not address the previous comments with which I concur. Why make Comment a graphic? Just
     make it a link on the right of the page so it isnt so distracting.

    % Anonymous User - Apr. 6, 2002 8:22 pm:
     At this point, it's a tradeoff. Please try to live with it now until I can figure out how to make it appear
     on the right of the page without effecting layout. Note that the COM button should set a cookie that turns
     comments off for all pages forever (or until you flush the cookie), but this is currently broken under some
     versions of Mozilla.

    % Anonymous User - Apr. 6, 2002 8:32 pm:
     Note also that you may download the HTML version and the PDF version for your own private viewing as well.

    % Anonymous User - Apr. 25, 2002 9:04 am:
     You should have your page in utf-8 if you were to allow people to add comments.

     Below we have an example that people add non-ascii text already.

    % mcdonc - May 10, 2002 2:33 am:
     Nope, no UTF8, sorry, and possibly never will be. But the comment cookies are fixed. They should persist
     across pages now. - chrism

    % Anonymous User - May 23, 2002 9:55 am:
     Your table of contents is not agreeing with your chapter numbers and also is not agreeing with your PDF.
     Please check continuity.

    % Anonymous User - May 30, 2002 7:08 pm:
     I don't find the comment buttons intrusive, but rather useful and good...especially given that they can be
     turned off and on. Sorry to be so positive about the issue, but I see no balance of opinions in the comments
     previously attached. It's so much easier to complain than to compliment. JEL

    % Freso - July 5, 2002 11:28 am:
     Any reason for 'no UTF8'?

    % mcdonc - July 5, 2002 11:34 am:
     Yes. I'm utterly clueless when it comes to character encodings. If you can code it, you're welcome to
     contribute to the BackTalk project: http://backtalk.sourceforge.net .

    % Anonymous User - July 30, 2002 11:42 am:
     Heh... well, UTF-8 is the encoding for people who don't like to deal with character encodings. :-) However,
     if you already have stuff in another encoding other than ASCII (which, seeing various accented characters
     elsewhere, leads me to believe that you do), a conversion will need to take place.

    % Anonymous User - Aug. 1, 2002 8:19 am:
     果たして日本語は書けるのか?

    % Anonymous User - Aug. 12, 2002 8:38 am:
     I came to this site for the first time and i feel the comments are given more importance than the actual
     content of the page. I got to keep scrolling to read about zope. Guess you should have a seperate section for
     comments and the users who wants to see them can click on it and view it. Now it's more like mandatory to
     read the comments than about zope.

    % Anonymous User - Aug. 12, 2002 8:39 am:
     I came to this site for the first time and i feel the comments are given more importance than the actual
     content of the page. I got to keep scrolling to read about zope. Guess you should have a seperate section for
     comments and the users who wants to see them can click on it and view it. Now it's more like mandatory to
     read the comments than about zope.

    % Anonymous User - Sep. 3, 2002 7:58 am:
     I'm reading this on MSIE 5.1 Mac and the comments don't seem to be a liquid width, which is a bit of a pain
     if you want to read the text in conjunction with another window.
     Otherwise. . . great dox!

    % Anonymous User - Sep. 3, 2002 10:43 am:
     Erste Schritte....

    % Anonymous User - Sep. 14, 2002 12:44 am:
     What a beautiful thing

    % Anonymous User - Sep. 17, 2002 2:44 pm:
     could it be,
     that "*COM* on" should be exchanged with "*COM* off"
     to capture the meaning?

    % Anonymous User - Sep. 18, 2002 11:41 am:
     I'd have to disagree on the yellow button comments above. I like them because they allow me to skip past all
     this DUMB commentary. Feedback is great, but COME ON, the only person with half a brain who has written
     anything here is Chris McDonough... myself included ;). I say use the feedback all you want over there at
     zope.org but don't torture the rest of us. I'm going to have to download the pdf now.

    % Anonymous User - Sep. 20, 2002 6:37 am:
     To add to the clutter, but well... First comment should explain how to turn comments off (I think some don't
     know how)
     Very nice book btw

    % mcdonc - Sep. 21, 2002 6:31 pm:
     The header now explains how to turn comments off.

    % Anonymous User - Sep. 23, 2002 5:44 am:
     I'm wondering what application is this book written with?