[ZODB-Dev] How to avoid shooting my foot

Pieter Nagel pieter@nagel.co.za
09 Oct 2002 20:10:53 +0200

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 16:35, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> When the application has a bug in it, the objects just don't get
> stored in the database or don't get updated.  It isn't always obvious
> in either case.  The object continues to behave like a regular object
> until the next time the program runs and it isn't found.

This is not a problem with OO databases like GemStone/Smalltalk where
the VM *is* the database engine. There, there is no distinction between
persistent and nonpersistent objects; if there are states like
activated/deactivated/ghostified, the programmer never sees it. There is
no distinction between an object's identity and its oid.

But I must say that ZODB is the one OO database that has brought me
closest to GemStone/S Nirvana than all the others. The fact that it is a
Python OODB, and not C++, helps as well :-)
--
     ,_