[ZODB-Dev] Cache Query (why doesn't RAM usage ever drop?)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:12:23 +0100

Hi,

Just got one of our bigger apps up to 2.6.0 and have been sniffing around Toby's
new cache. Looks cool, apart from the online help now being out of date ;-)

However, I noticed something weird. I did a top sorted by memory usage. This
Zope instance is using 225Mb 'cos I re-indexed all its content after the upgrade.

Now, I tried flushing the cache, but the memory usage didn't drop.
I'm also concerned that with the target number of objects set to only 400, this
instance still managed to grow to 225Mb. Hmm, that said, that would mean that at
some stage I had 400 0.5Mb objects in memory. On this server, that's perfectly
believeable...

Anyway, does anyone know why memory isn't being returned to the OS by python and
in there anything that can be doen to make that happen?

cheers,

Chris